This post is a little bit of fun for me to write. If you read my blog regularly you’ll know I love to enter online competitions. Yes, I am a dedicated comper! And I know so many of you are too. Comping is, for me, the ultimate hobby. It’s free (for the most part), easy to do and can bring so many amazing things into your life. I dip in and out of entering free competitions. I only do it when I have the time. In 2017 I went through spates of comping, going for months at a time without entering any at all. I picked it up at the end of the year, going full throttle with the advents (or so I thought…turns out there were so many advent competitions that I must have missed half of them! I’m going to be better prepared in December 2018, I swear).
Since I am on a roll with setting goals for myself for 2018, I decided to do it for comping as well. It’s not something I’ve done before. After all, winning competitions is mainly about luck and sheer volume of competitions that you enter. There’s no exact science to winning competitions. Generally, you have to be in it to win it, and the more you enter, the more chance there is of winning something. There are some techniques and tools you can use, however, to pinpoint the prizes you want and find more obscure, low entry volume comps online. Di Coke of SuperLucky has been my mentor where this is concerned, and I have (quite literally) taken a leaf out of her book to search for the prizes I want to win. This has been very successful for me in the past.
So, for 2018 I have compiled a list of twelve prizes I want to win in 2018.
That’s one for every month of the year. These are things I either really want or really need. I won’t be devastated if I don’t win them, but extremely happy if I get any of them! Here’s what I’ll be searching for in 2018:
- A new phone for me. My old Samsung has become so slow it’s driving me up the wall. I would love a new iPhone or Samsung. My contract for my phone is Sim-only and only costs me around £13 per month at the moment. I just can’t bring myself to buy a handset or get an expensive new contract, so I want to try and win a phone instead.
- A new phone for Sean. His is even worse than mine, with a cracked screen and a pink line running down the middle of it. I’d also like to win one for Sean so we can both be frugal and stick to inexpensive contracts.
- Garden Furniture. We just don’t have any, mainly because I lived in a flat before moving to this house and didn’t need any. I would love one of those big beautiful tables and a load of chairs. We want to put some decking at the end of the garden and this would top it off nicely.
- A Barbecue. For similar reasons, we don’t have one and really missed one in 2017. I’d love to sit on my new garden furniture and eat my newly barbecued lunch on a sunny day! These kinds of competitions start appearing in Spring so I’ll make sure to keep an eye out all the time for one of these.
- An overseas trip. Well, who wouldn’t want to win a holiday?! I have won hotel stays in the UK before but never an overseas trip. I’ll go anywhere, I don’t mind. But I have got a list of places I would really, really love to go to so am saving searches for New York or California trips in particular.
- A UK holiday. By this I mean a stay of two nights or more. I did actually win two nights in a lovely hotel in Edinburgh in 2016, and we went for Sean’s birthday. I found that competition by actively searching for competitions to win a weekend in Edinburgh. I’m going to concentrate on doing the same this year. Cornwall would be nice… 🙂
- £1,000 in vouchers. This would be a cumulative prize, so I’ll add up the value of any vouchers I win in 2018 to hopefully get to £1K.
- £1,000 in cash. Well you’ve got to have dreams, haven’t you?! Again, this would be a cumulative prize. I did once win £100 from a magazine competition, so if I focus my efforts a bit more I know it could be possible.
- A new TV. I would adore one of those ultra-flat, amazing-picture TVs. No doubt there’s a technical term for those but I’m not sure what it is! My TV is several years old now. There’s nothing wrong with it but I still find myself wanting to update it.
- A games console. I am a bit of a gamer really, having grown up with two brothers who loved Playstations and XBoxes. It’s a bit of an indulgence, closing the curtains and sticking a game on. Now I stick to The Sims (what a time waster that is) but would love a console to try out some new games on.
- A fridge freezer. Mine is a teeny tiny one which was in my old flat. My dream is one of those huge silver American-style ones with a water dispenser on the front and a massive freezer section. That would make me so happy (generally, anything to do with food does that for me).
- A FitBit or fitness tracker. It doesn’t have to be a FitBit, I would just like a fancy tracker to wear to the gym. I’ve seen quite a few lately on friends and family and just love the idea of them. They can do so much.
So those are my 12 prize goals for 2018. I may have delved slightly into the realms of the ridiculous there, but you do have to be in it to win it!
They’re all pretty standard, so most people will have a few of these on their wishlist. I’ve got my list written out in front of me so when I’m at my computer comping I can be extra motivated. It is possible to find low entry comps and those that are slightly more difficult to enter by searching for them actively (again, I recommend Di’s book for this). That’s what I’ll be doing, with my focus on these particular prizes.
If I win any of them, I’ll come back and update this post to let you know!
If you want to have a go at comping in 2018, have a look at this easy way to enter competitions online.
What’s on your comping wishlist for 2018?
Join My Other Subscribers
Subscribe to get my latest content by email - all my top tips on blogging, reselling, working from home, and more money making tips. Plus my income reports!